PAGES

Monday, November 11, 2013

THREE SCENES

Scene 1. The moon had been out for hours. Moriah lies beside her sister, the dog between them. They had just fought over the fleece blanket with Dalmatian colors, Moriah had let Rebekah win. Rebekah lies perfectly still, but Moriah keeps tossing herself into different positions.
Moriah: Bekah, good night, please don't talk anymore I really need to sleep. And I really want to answer your question, but I need to sleep.  
Rebekah: You'd be a single mom. 
M: What--?! What does that even mean? 
R: You know how Tobey McGuire only plays the nerds or the unpopular characters in movies, you'd always play a single mom. 
M: I think I'm offended. And I really need to sleep--I can't sleep! Why on earth do you think that? 
R: Because. It just fits you. You're independent and I can just imagine it. 
M: No, I wouldn't ever want that. I'd want to be someone like Meg Ryan who owns quaint book shops and wears big coats. Someone quirky who falls in love with witty men. 
R: ...I guess I can see that too. 
M: Okay, now be quiet. I need to sleep. (She wiggles and pulls the blankets closer.) I can't sleep. O--! Here! I'll do what Carla would have us do before performance. Relax my legs. Good, now my head. Now, put my tongue to the back of my throat... 
(A small sputter like water from a pump well spills into a laugh from Rebekah's lips.) 
M: Oops. I said that wrong. 
R: I'm imagining you putting your tongue to the back of your throat... 
M: Okay ha ha. Now, let me sleep. (Three seconds of silence) Bekah, did you read that article on American Girl dolls? 
R: No, but Mom told me about it. It's horrible. 
M: I know! I am so angry about it. 
R: You know how Kit was your favorite, well you're actually a lot like her. You have the same haircut, she lived in an attic, she spied on people, she helped Hobos. 
M: And I can imagine you as Felicity. Would have run away to save that horse like she had? 
R: Actually, I've thought about it, and I would in a heartbeat. You know--my favorite horse is the same coloring as Penny. Remember how you used to have such a crush on Ben? 
M: Yeah, goodness, what a dork! 
R: If you lived in Victorian times, you would have been Annabelle. 
M: (Sarcastic) Thanks. Bekah, you actually could fit into that time period really well though. 
R: Just like you would have fit into the Great Depression period. 
M: Yeah, and I would have escaped from a jail through a bathroom window and crawled across a railroad track bridged over a gorge! 
R: Remember what George said. We were put into the right time period to best know God. 
M: Yeah, there's that, but also, if you had been in the Victorian Period, I wouldn't have fit in there. And if I had been in the Great Depression Period, you wouldn't have fit in there. So I'm glad we're both here. Goodnight. And for real this time, no more talking. (Ten seconds of silence) Do you really think I'd be a single mom?

Scene 2. Two friends sit in a coffee shop, facing a yellow house. Moriah sipping on a jar of red wine, while Holly nibbles on a sliver of banana bread.
Holly: And he's actually a hot one. 
Moriah: Really? 
H: Yep. Tall, black beard, brown eyes. I find him attractive. 
M: So, then I probably wouldn't...? 
H: No, you probably wouldn't. Our views in hot men are totally different. Like Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio. 
M: Wait, I like Leonardo DiCaprio. 
H: My point. 


Scene 3. Two friends giggle over their days. Moriah rolls over with a new thought--breaking from the topic. 
Moriah: I think I kissed six people today. 
Holly: I could think a lot about that right now. 
M: I did though. 
H: Explain, please. 
M: They were all shorter than me. 
H: Kids! Thank God. The way you put that was just a little... odd. 
M: No, no it wasn't. 
H: Yeah. It was. And you counted. 
M: I averaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment