PAGES

Thursday, February 28, 2013

ELLIOT

"Some years ago there was a series of letters to columnist Ann Landers on the subject of men who snore. Wives wrote in complaining of the countless hours of lost sleep and the irritation of that awful noise beside them in the bed. Others wrote offering solutions, but the discussion came to an end with one letter, 'Snoring is the sweetest music in the world. Ask any widow.'
How often I have sat in a roomful of people and heard a wife contradict, criticize, belittle, or sneer at her husband before the rest of the company and I have with difficulty restrained myself from leaping from my chair, going over and shaking that woman by the shoulders and saying, 'Do you realize what you've got?'

She doesn't.
She hasn't my perspective..."
 Elisabeth and Valerie, soon after Jim's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment