PAGES

Friday, February 22, 2013

STRUCK

As the train skidded across snow covered tracks to Grenoble, I pressed against the glass, scanning the white valley, seemingly endless, speckled with bent forests curving along the rails. Breathlessly, the valley slowly built, creating hills and soon, broke altogether into a mass of rock. Such distant heights; untouchable, but there, and I was awake this time... no more dreaming, these mountains could breathe.
Driving through the gorge to camp, the mountains laughed and mimicked with proud chins snagging the edges of the blue between the clouds. The silent joy felt in my soul was twin to the swollen river beside the road we traveled. Arriving, we were greeted by a soft enchantment, as the arched trees stooped and the stone faced chalets were laced in white. 
Between the mountains here, there is a winter solitude. The lonely is felt if you're not too careful. There is a prompting, a gentle urgency of God's jealous love that has asked me to rest in this stillness. Such a different pace than my autumn life.
Here, I follow the steep road climbing the heights, to catch the sun pouring against the pointed crest. Often, I sit on my windowsill, dangling feet, taking in the perpetual motion of frost and thaw that paints across the cliffs and thickets. When I sit beside the coal charred stone of the fireplace after scouring sinks and windows, my thoughts travel; creativity bleeds in black ink.
Saturday mornings at the market town of Bourg d'Oisans, just below camp; watching the colors of people bustling and trading, I'll wander and see things I will choose not to forget. Like the stranger, pipe in mouth, knee high boots taking confident strides in the cobbled alley, and the gray tufts jutting from his tweed cap.
There is a stairwell in the middle of the grand chalet, and when Caleb and Allison are away, I sneak there to tell stories and spin them into songs. I've been caught a few times now, and I think I should find a new place.
Training is exhausting, but I will continue to tie my shoes to my feet and jog up those sloped roads.
Just as I will continue to wrap myself in the promises of God and walk heavenward,
Thunder in my heart,
m

No comments:

Post a Comment